Monday, March 9, 2009

Can't Touch This (Ne Toucher Pas)

While casually chatting with a friend today (using my newly utilized blackberry messenger), the word 'touché' arose. While I have heard the french term used many times throughout my years, I do not feel as if I've had a complete understanding of its true meaning and history. Taking a few years of the French language in high school as well as in college, I am aware that the world 'toucher', means "to touch". But, I wanted to dig a little deeper into this schmancy little word, so of course, I turned to wikipedia. Here it is for all of you. Consider yourselves a bit more cultured for the day.

In fencing, touché (French: touched, Pronounced Too-shay) is used as an acknowledgement of a hit, called out by the fencer who is hit. A referee can call out touché to refer to a touch being called - for example, the French call for "no point" is "pas de touché" (English: no touch).

It is from the infinitive verb 'toucher' which means to touch and is changed to the past participle by removing the -er ending and adding the appropriate ending (-é).

The word touché is often used in "popular culture" and general conversation—for example, in an argument or debate. If one person presents an argument and another delivers a clever or apt response, the first person may respond with "touché" as a way of acknowledging a good response. A synonym of this word would be "Good point".

It is considered orthographically incorrect to express the feminine form of the past participle, "touchée," when speaking to a woman.


And if you were already well versed in the history of this term...I don't care. Thank youuuuu.


1 comment: